Tuesday, January 7, 2014

No Pain No Pleasure: Chapter 5


“Ah…Mr. Wroberson…How have you been?” Willis said greeting people as they entered the conference room. “How’s the wife and kids?”

As they walked into the conference room to sign in Andrele became overwhelmed by how many corporations that were in attendance.

“Mercy, you didn’t tell me it would be some many suits here…” he said.

“Oh don’t you go getting all nervous…we already here now.” Mercy said.

Andrele has a slight problem with being professional; he’s not very professional at all. Hence the reason he hired Mercy. He has her around to do most of his talking and consulting. Since his recent stardom, he has been working on his professional speaking but it’s still a work in progress.

“I mean you could’ve at least told me Tanya.” he replied.

“Oh hush…you’ll be aight...” she said. “This day is about the kids remember…and this could be good practice for you.”

“I guess you right bout that at least…I just hope I don’t make a fool of myself.” He replied.

“When aren’t you making a fool of yourself?” she said sarcastically. “All else fails, just be yourself…if they don’t accept that then oh well.” she said encouraging him.

“Is everything ok Mr. Driek?” Willis asked.

“Yes, everything is fine…jus didn’t know this many corporations would be here.” he answered. “I thought it would kinda be more for the kids.”

“A more intimate ordeal?...Ah, I understand…well there will be chance for that.” Willis said. “Right now is the time to mingle and network…I’m sure you’re a man of many words.”

“Yea, WRITING those words.” Mercy whispered under her breath. “Um…he’ll be fine Mr. Willis.”

“James, please call me James.” Willis said.

“Ok James.” she replied.

“Great, well I shall meet up with you all later…I must go make sure that everyone and everything will be in place for the conference lunch…until then au revoir madam.” Willis said as he winked at Mercy then walks away.

“Au revoir madam…” Andrele said mocking Willis.

“Oh grow up!” Mercy replied.

“He’s so cheesy…James, please call me James…” he said as he continued. “You can’t be serious…”

“And why not Drele?” Mercy asked. “I think he’s very sweet.”

“Whatever floats your boat Mercy.” He replied.

“Yea Yea Yea…well now that we are signed in lets go talk and network with some of these people.” Mercy said.

The conference room was filled with the “whose who” of the Metro Atlanta area. Representatives in attendance ranged from reps of the Atlanta Falcons and the Atlanta Hawks to reps of the CNN center and Turner broadcasting and also reps of the Varsity and Chic-Fil-A restuarants. These corporates were attending the conference to encourage the youth and to extend a hand in any way useful. This was a really great chance for Andrele as well. Not only to help the youth from the areas he grew up in but also it was a glorious chance for him to get to know some new people to further his own career. It had always been his dream to be on a television show.

With Mercy by his side, Andrele mingled with the various reps. He met a representative from the Varsity that had heard of him and was currently reading one of Andrele’s books. He had also met a rep from the Georgia Institute of Technology. The rep had explained how he used Andrele’s latest book as a reference for a study in one of his classes. Many people that Mercy and Andrele talked to knew who Andrele was (or at least his alias) and had or was reading one of his books. This flattered Andrele so much. He knew that his books were selling well but he didn’t realize the range of people that actually read his books.

“Now aren’t you glad you came?” Mercy asked.

“Yea I can’t lie, this was pretty cool!” he replied. “And we ain’t even talked to the kids yet…that’s the part I’m anxious for really!”

“And it is such a delight to hear you say that Mr. Driek.” Willis said appearing from behind them. “I love the enthusiaism…and it is certainly timely because I have a group of kids ready to hear from the creator of the Sensual Subject series…you seem to be very popular with the oldest crowd that we have in attendance today.”

“Oh man…really…well lets go man…I’m ready!” Andrele said excitedly.

“Ok well right his way sir.” Willis said.

James Willis walked them out of the conference room and down the hall to a conference room filled with college students.

“And the moment you’ve all been waiting for…its my pleasure to introduce, although most of you already know him, Mel Thoughts, writer of Sensual Subject.”

The crowd greeted Andrele with a round of applause.

“Thank y’all for having me…I’m very excited about being in front of y’all today.” Andrele said. “I got a college crowd and that’s cool cause I ain’t too much older than y’all.”

Anderele attended Georgia State University before publishing his first book of the Sensual Subject series. His first book didn’t sell so well initially. He promoted his book around campus and at the AU center between Morehouse, Spelman, and Clark-Atlanta University. It took his book a while for sales top pick up. When they finally started to pick up he felt as though school was slowing his promotions down so he finished the first semester of his junior year and he dropped out.

“I was once in your shoes…unsure and confused of what the future may hold…yea that was the absolute WORST feeling!” he added. “But when people tell you to follow your dreams until you achieve them, they are giving you great advice…I did and I’m now standing in front of you a published writer and poet…all because I never lost sight of my goals…I never lost sight of my dreams!”

He talked to the students for about twenty minutes then he opened up the floor for questions.

“So I know y’all got some questions for me so what’s up?” he asked. “Feel free to ask me anything…I’m open to any and all questions…Just tell me yo name and what school you’re from.”

The room briefly went quiet and then the hands rose.

“Hi Mel, my name is Shyanne and I attend Georgia Tech…” the student said.

“Hello Shyanne…How are you and what is your question?” he asked.

“I’m well and my question is with such abrupt success in what major way has your life changed and has it changed for the better or for the worst?” the student asked.

“Thank you for the question Shyanne…Umm…honestly the only real change has been the business side of things.” He replied. “Since the publishing of my second book, S.S.: Great Sensations, I started to hire others to help me with my promotions and things like that…then I hired my assistant/publicist here Ms. Tanya Mercy.”

“Hey everyone…” Mercy said as she stepped in front of the students.

“So yea…any other questions?” he asked.

Immediately another hand went up.

“What’s up Mel…My name is Kurt Jones from Clayton State University…Yo I was reading S.S.: Ecstasy and I was wondering where did you get the inspiration for them characters man…They had a lot going on brah!” the student asked.

“Great question Kurt…Most of my characters are made up personalities but I do have a couple that are inspired by some real people.” Andrele said.

“Oh man…forreal…who are those characters and who are they inspired by?” the student asked.

“Well honestly I don’t really ever share my inspirations for my books…not even to my staff…but I will say that Kandis and Jerrod from that book are actually real people…well at least they inspired by real people.” he answered.

“That jus made they story that much more interesting…thanks for sharing that with me brah.” the student said.

“Well Mr. Driek you have time for one more question.” Willis said stepping into the doorway.

“Ok…well…anthing else?” Andrele asked the students.

“Yes I do…” said another student from the crowd.

“Although S.S: Ecstasy just came out not too long ago, are you working on another installment into the series?”

“Well I have an answer for that and the answer is yes…there will be a fourth installment but I don’t know what the title will be yet…or whether I’ll continue that crazy relationship of Kandis and Jerrod.” he replied. “I guess y’all will have to wait till this summer to see.”

The crowd chattered from the inside information.

“I really do thank you all for having me, thank you for supporting my series and good luck to you all.”

The crowd gave him a round of applause as he stepped from the front of the room. The students bombarded him to have their books autographed, but Andrele didn’t mind in the slightest. He was actually happy for this.

After he had finished his mini book signing, it was time for lunch.

“I’m bout to walk out here like I know where I’m going…you know where lunch is being served?” Andrele asked Mercy.

“I don’t know but I know I’m starving!” Mercy replied. “I guess it wouldn’t hurt to just follow the crowd… they gotta be going there too.”

“You right and I told you to get that All-Star this morning…” Andrele said laughing. “You was actin all cute and shit.”

“I wasn’t that hungry then but I am now…plus I had to pay for all that shit you had fat ass.” she said. “But ANYWAY don’t you have something to tell me?”

“What?” Andrele asked.

“You never told me that some of yo characters were real!” she said.

“They not!” he said with a smirk.

Boy stop playing wit me now…now are you gon tell me or not…I’m not gon sit here and beg you!” she said.

“Well I’m damn sure not if you talking to me like that!” he replied continuing to laugh.

“Boy stop all that damn playing and just tell me.” she said.

“And if I don’t, what you gon do?”

“Brah you so childish!” she said.

“Why do you wanna know so bad?” he asked. “They are just characters!”

“I just wanna know…plus I feel like I have the right to know!” she said. “You tell me everything else…I gotta listen to you rant bout all this and all that and all them frappin ass females you be fucking wit but you can’t tell me bout some damn characters in yo lame ass books?”

“Damn that's how you feel?” he asked. “And why my books gotta be lame? They can’t be too lame if you be reading em!”

“Man whatever!” she said sucking her teeth, “Cut that bullshit and tell me.”

“I’m not telling you Mercy.” he said.

“I bet Jerrod Paul ain’t it?” she said starting to randomly guess. “Or its Krik and that bitch Lea...you don always had a soft spot for her.”

“So you just gon start guessin now?” he asked. “I’m not gon tell you…just know it’s a close friend of mine.”

“What damn close friend?” she asked. “I know all yo close damn friends.”

“Just stop asking Tanya…I’m not gon say it…Just let it go…”

“I’ll let it go right now but I’m not gon let it go completely.” She said. “I have the right to know!”

“I can live with that...” he said. “Let’s just enjoy this free meal and down time.”

Just as the two sat down at the table to eat, James Willis came to join them.

“I want to thank you for coming and participating.” he said. “And for bringing along such a beautiful young lady with you.”

“Thank you so much James.” she said.

“And she’s also a great listener I see.” Willis added.

“Yea well obviously from the conversation we just had I guess that’s what I been paying her for.” Andrele said laughing.

“Seems as though she’s a keeper…what would I have to do in order to get a date with you Ms. Mercy?” Willis said.

“Meh Meh Meh Meh Meh Ms. Mercy?” Andrele said mocking Willis under this breath.

Mercy kicked Andrele under the table.

“All you would have to do is simply ask.” she said.

“May I take you out for dinner tonight…maybe Houston’s?” Willis asked.

“Uhm…that sounds wonderful!” she replied.

“Well here is my number, text me your address and I shall see you later.” Willis said to Mercy. “Nice meeting you Mr. Driek.”

Then James Willis got up from the table and walked away. Mercy watch his every step as every step made him more distant.

“That guy is such a cornball Tanya!” Andrele said.

“No you’ve got it wrong…That man is such a gentleman.”

“You’re really gonna go out with that guy?” he asked.

“Yes I am!” she answered. “Why shouldn’t I?”

“Because…Because…he’s…him…” he said.

“There is absolutely nothing wrong wit him!” she insisted to Andrele. “A woman should be able to be ‘wined and dined’ once in a while.”

“Anybody could do that…” he said. “Hell I can do that!”

“Boy you ain’t got a damn gentle bone in yo body.” she said. “That’s why you can’t keep no relationship…I need a real man and that James Willis is a real man!”

“I think I’m gonna to throw up!” he said.

“Yea Yea…whatever…let’s just finish this food so I can go get my car from yo house…I got a date to get ready for!” she said.

“Whatever you say Ms. Mercy!”

No comments:

Post a Comment